Making a Pondscope
Can I make a pondscope?
Oh, what is a pondscope you ask? Read on.....
What You Need
- A gallon sized tin can or a #10 sized can
- Black paint
- Paint Brush
- Clear and large sized plastic bag
- Big rubber band or waterproof tape
- Pond, river, stream or lake
What You Do
What Is Happening
- First, a pondscope is something you can use to look down into water to
see critters, green plants, bugs and stuff under the surface!
- Ask an adult to remove the lid and bottom of the can.
- Put newspaper down on an area where you are allowed to paint.
- Put the can on the newspaper. Paint the inside of the can black.
- Let the paint dry for a few hours.
- Cut a piece of plastic from a large plastic bag big enough to go around one
end of the can.
- Place the plastic on an end of the can. Use a rubber band or waterproof
tape to keep the clear plastic in place.
- Go to a pond, river, stream or lake with an adult. Wade in and hold your
pondviewer with the open side down into the water a few inches.
- Look through the clear plastic top. You should be able to see what is
growing and moving in the water and on the bottom.
Our eyes cannot easily see down into the water of streams, ponds, rivers and lakes. There is often reflection from the sun hitting the surface of the water. The dark bottom of these water bodies also make it hard to see. By using a pondscope, you can m
ore easily look d water and see what is under the surface!