Grass Seed Fun
This lesson developed by Leona
Recommended Ages: Preschool and Early Elementary
How does regular yard grass grow?
What You Need
- 2 or 3 white styrofoam cups
- Grass seed
- Potting soil
- Felt Pens
- Pipe cleaners
What You Do
What Is Happening
- Fill your cups 2/3 full with potting soil
- Sprinkle some grass seed onto the soil in both cups.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of potting soil on top of the seeds. Be
sure they are covered up.
- Sprinkle some water on top of the soil. Don't put too much water in the
cups. The soil should just be moist....not drenched!
- Put the cups on a table or shelf near a window where plenty of
sunshine will come in.
- Watch what happens over the next few days. As the soil totally dries out,
sprinkle a little more water on it.
- Watch as the grass seeds grow. From one cup, pluck out a piece of grass.
Take a look at what it looks like from top to bottom.
- As the grass seed grows, you can take scissors and "cut" your grass!
- Take one of the cups and make a grass head! use your felt pens to draw
eyes, a nose, and a mouth. You can use pipe cleaners to fold and put into
the sides of the cup for ears that stick out! Trim the "hair" to the syle and
length you prefer!
All plants, even blades of grass, need soil, sunlight and water to grow. Each blade of grass is its own little plant. Some plants grow really fast- like grass! That's why it has to be trimmed so often during our growing season. Some plants don't grow