20 Things You Can Do
to Help Reduce Pollution and Preserve
- Walk, bicycle, or ride the bus to reduce pollution and save energy.
- Bring a reusable bag or knapsack when you shop.
- Take shorter showers to save water.
- Don't use aerosol spray cans - protect the ozone layer.
- Recycle things that are recyclable in your areanewspapers, glass,
cans, and more.
- Use both sides of a piece of paper before recycling it.
- Turn off the light when you leave the room.
- Don't release balloons into the airthey can hurt wildlife.
- Return bottles that have deposits
- Give away or sell usable items that you don't need anymore.
- Plant a tree, and then take care of it.
- Plant a garden, and eat vegetables from it.
- Pack your lunch in a lunch box.
- Bring a thermos, not a juice box or throw-away bottle or can.
- Recycle used motor oil - don't dump it down the drain or on the ground.
- If you have space, start a compost pile in your backyard.
- Write a letter to Congress supporting environmental legislation.
- Don't buy things that you don't need.
- When you are choosing between buying two equal items, pick the one that
has less packaging.
- Get two friends or family members to do any of the things on this list!